Monday, December 18, 2006

Proverbs 18:2

"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."

I thought today's current quote would be a helpful reminder for everyone in Blogland, because sometimes we just shoot off whatever we think is important or needs to be said at the moment, even if, upon closer scrutiny, it is total nonsense. The sad thing is that we often don't even let ourselves admit that what we've said is wrong. This happens to me in political or moral discussions quite a bit. I'll say something because of a knee-jerk reaction, and later realize that maybe the opposing viewpoint was not quite as radical as I'd like to have thought. I end-up pidgeon-holing the other person's opinion into some preconceived category, even if it doesn't fit. I think we all do this because we don't want to admit we don't know everything. We analyze viewpoints superficially because we want to feel in control. I hope my blog does not become that-just another rock upon which I will carve the views I hold as absolute, never to be changed. I know some of my future posts will carry assertions that will, when read by some, invite critique, and it is my hope that we all can remember this Proverb when self-justification seems more important than real understanding.

No comments: