Friday, January 11, 2008

A Thought for the Day

Psalm 87:7b
“All my springs of joy are in you.”

Is this true for me?

In early Biblical life a spring was any source of water that made life possible. The Psalmist brings this physical concept into the realm of the spiritual prompting us to ask ourselves:

“What is the source for my daily life?”
“What am I depending on to get me through another day?”

It may be a dream, some form of entertainment, another person, place or feeling. For me it’s often any one of these things, and most of the time it is some expectation for the near future. I latch onto some upcoming event: the release date of a movie I want to see, a potential swell, time off from work, a date with my wife, or a visit to see family or friends.

We, as citizens in the developed world, and perhaps humans in general, tend to work for the weekend. We’re deriving our motivation from one of these finite sources. So it is here that the Psalmist’s words needle us to ask ourselves: "Am I drawing my joy from the right sources?"

1 comment:

Joel Spencer said...

Great thoughts Ford. The thing about always looking to the next thing is, it always comes and goes and you're in limbo until you've something else to look to.

May we learn what it means to seize each moment and live this life drawing from the well springs of salvation as you're referring to - moment by moment.